Management of the coastal zone is becoming increasingly important, and any infrastructure projects must consider all aspects of the marine environment. Understanding the marine environment will lead to a well-informed infrastructure project, minimising unexpected costs and problems.
With sea levels rising and the higher frequency of significant weather events, it is increasingly important to have detailed knowledge of the coastal zone before, during, and after any significant changes to the coastal zone.
Hydrographic surveying plays an important role in understanding the coastal zone and includes benefits such as:
- safe navigation,
- knowledge of the seabed and its habitats,
- locating wrecks and other hazards,
- understanding sea levels,
- flood modeling capabilities,
- understanding dredging requirements,
- informed engineering design of infrastructure.